Petrof pianos

Maxpiano@aol.com Maxpiano@aol.com
Sun, 26 Jan 1997 03:00:43 -0500 (EST)

André and List -

I bought a Förster 52" upright in 1965 in Germany 1) because the bass was so
good and the overall tone so controllable and 2) (a distant second) because
it was $50 less than the comparable (Hamburg) Steinway.  I still have and
treasure this piano, though the tone in the tenor seems a little "thick" or
"reedy."

I am friends with a dealer who sells Petrof pianos; those in his showroom and
the vertical I service on a 6-month basis are very good pianos, clean
sounding and quite free of false beats; but he claims his technician (a
student of mine) really has to work each one over.  The one I service
regularly is the one I commented on in the post about hanging onto my tuning
hammer.

Bill Maxim, RPT