Fossil Identification

Maxpiano@aol.com Maxpiano@aol.com
Sun, 26 Jan 1997 03:00:57 -0500 (EST)

In a message dated 97-01-25 10:20:33 EST, Rob Kiddell wrote:

<<
 	With all this discussion of stone-related piano construction
 techniques, I hope some of the enlightened members of the list can
 help me with some identification of another type of geological piano
 part, namely the substance used by the Baldwin Co. in their wonderful
 petrified butt leathers. I've put together a tech. column on removal
 & replacement for my newsletter, and I would like to find out just
 what the @#$% those things were made of so I can sound knowledgeable
 on the subject. All of the Baldwin Tech Service folk are returning
 from NAMM and are unavailable until next week, so I throw the
 question open to everyone.

 Humourous responses encouraged, any responses welcome,

Please count me in on your list to receive the instructions.

On tuning one of these critters and running into bobbling hammers, I find
myself reaching in involuntarily with the sandpaper file to roughen up the
(catcher) surface of 1) the petrified gray plastic, 2) the rubbery black
composition that sheds black all over the keys, and even 3) the older
material that looks like buckskin but becomes coated with a brownish glaze
that won't hold onto the backcheck.

I really dislike having to use a sand file there because I don't want to
remove any needed material.

Maybe I'll have to rename them the BaldOnes.

Bill Maxim, RPT