Neg. Inhrmncty-What to do?

Jim pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Sat, 25 Jan 1997 23:34:26 -0700 (MST)

Hi Again Allen:

I have observed negative inharmonicity in pianos, but never on F3.
If I ever should, I would do this: Pluck the F3 string between the
strike point and V-bar at both F5 and F6. The normal
strike point of the hammer does sometimes interfere with the display
of the 8th partial - somewhat similar to the kind of display we get
when tuning a wild string which has two frequencies going at the same
time. If this still shows negative Inh., then measure F#3 or E3 as
tho' it were F3 (assuming it to be the same kind of string, ie wrapped or
plain). The rationale for this is that you wouldn't want one odd-ball
string to control the tuning of so many others.

In this particular case (Knabe Console) the F3 is probably a wrapped
string. Normally if a wrapped string has extremely long unwrapped
portions in the speaking length of the string, this will make the
inharmonicity higher.  The only thing I can think of which would make
the inharmonicity lower would if be if there is added weight in some
spot on the string.  I have observed glue spots on strings (sloppy
gluing of the dampers) which can play havoc with inharmonicity. Some
European and Japanese pianos have had the end of the copper over-wrap
itself about 1 inch to give better security, but it also plays havoc
with the inharmonicity (usually in lowering some of the lower partials.

Jim Coleman, Sr.