bone keytops

Donald E. Mannino DonMannino@worldnet.att.net
Thu, 23 Jan 1997 20:36:54 -0800

----------
> From: PNOTNR@aol.com
> To: pianotech@byu.edu
> Subject: bone keytops
> Date: Thursday, January 23, 1997 1:16 PM
>
> Quite a while back, I saved the name of   Nelson Woodworking, ( 601 West
Main
> Road, Little Compton, RI 02837.  tel. 401-635-4733) as a source for bone
> keytop material.  I have a customer who really wants to save her ivory
> keytops, but they are way beyond saving.  I'd like to know if anyone here
has
> used the bone material for keytops.

Yes, I have, but it's been about 7 or 8 years.

> My questions are:
>
> Is this comparable to plastic from a price standpoint?  (I haven't called
> Nelson Woodworking yet)

No, it's more expensive and more difficult to do, so the total job should
run the customer perhaps 3 times the cost of a plastic job.

> Is the material hard to work with?

More so than plastic, but probably no more than Ivory. It machines well
with a router, and can be sanded and buffed quite readily.

> Does it look reasonably like ivory?

It has a tan color, rather than the slightly yellow cast of Ivory. The
grain is rather fine, but you have to watch carefully for pores in the
finished material - usually one side buffs very smooth, and the other side
has pinholes in it. The end result feels (to the pianist) essentially the
same as ivory, with perhaps a little more texture and absorbency than new,
fine ivory, depending on how you buff it.

> Do any of the people who sell key recovering jobs use the bone material?

I don't know of any, but I've never asked.

If Nelson will supply one piece tops it is MUCH easier to do the job, but
the last time I bought a set of keytops he couldn't supply one piece sets -
I had to match heads and tails.

The bone is much thicker than ivory, and the finished product looks quite
beautiful and sort of antique-ey. I understand many harpsichord builders
use bone - you might try looking at a harpsichord list or newsgroup. I've
heard these exist, but I've never read them.

Don Mannino RPT