Service fees 1947, Howe

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Sat, 11 Jan 1997 19:09:05 -0500 (EST)

>Hey Willem,
>I'm anxious to get your response to my posting regarding the "fair fees"
>bass restringing.  It sounds like you make lots more money in your market
>than I do in mine.
>Tuning $65
>Regulation $500-600 grand (includes hammer reshape, string voice and
>hammer voicing)
>Refinishing (my refinisher charges) $1800-$2000
>Restringing $1000-$1100
>Please give me you thoughts on my experience.
>
>P.S. We enjoyed your visit a couple of years ago.
>
>Lance Lafargue, RPT
>"Cheapest Tech. in the Swamp"
>New Orleans Chapter

Lance:

Regarding the charge for restringing the bass, and all the other work you did
on that piano, I think you were justified in charging what you charged. If
you recall, I am an advocate of charging "by the hour", regardless of what
you do. YOu can give a discount, but only if it is appropriate or called for.
Perhaps if had gotten permission first, you wouldn't have gotten in trouble,
but that's another story.

In regards to what I charge on the above mentioned jobs, again that is based
on how long it takes me, multiplied by my hourly rate. If you charge $65 for
a tuning, and it takes you an hour to do that, then why charge less for any
other work. Based on $65 per hour, you should be taking about 16 hour to
restring a piano. Do you? (This of course includes removing the dampers,
measuring the scale, removing the strings and pins, removing the plate,
cleaning and/or refinishing the soundboard, cleaning and/or refinishing the
plate, reinstalling the plate, restringing with new pins, (don't forget new
understring felts), chipping, hanging new dampers, and at least 6 tunings.

I charge quite a bit more for refinishing, because I don't do it myself. My
refinisher charges me around $2500, but then I take the piano appart, get the
hardware replated by a professional, and assemble the piano again. I also
move the piano to his shop and back to my shop.  All that takes time.

If you are the "cheapest tuner in the swamp", and are 4 - 6 weeks behind in
your work, perhaps you should up your fee, and become the "the most expensive
tuner in the swamp". You'll be working less, but making more, and enjoying
life.

Willem Blees  RPT
St. Louis