No Budget

TunerJeff@aol.com TunerJeff@aol.com
Sat, 11 Jan 1997 13:19:14 -0500 (EST)

Dear Wally,

     I believe that what Keith was trying to say (..in his blunt no-nonsense
fashion) was that a Music Dep't with 20 pianos almost certainly has a
tuner/tech in the Rolodex somewhere. Of course, self-promotion IS a part of
being self-employed. (Right Keith?) Frankly, I'd have to say that standing on
a street corner with tuning hammer in hand and looking wistful won't net you
many customers. (Of course, I could be wrong...)

     Certainly do check and see if there is a tuner 'on call' with the Music
Dep't. Speak with the accompanist or other teachers in the Music Dep't before
sticking your toes into this (possible) morass. Those un-finished repairs on
the uprights might be a sign that piano care is WAY down on the list for
these folks (...mebbe the tuner left in disgust and moved to Fiji). You
mention an active PTG-membership down there, maybe a question or two
regarding the situation would be appropriate. OK?

     In situations where piano care is mis-understood, the best way to
promote proper care is by providing information & educating folks about the
needs of the complex mechanisms wrapped in the wooden-box. People really are
ignorant about the needs of pianos ...until WE let them know what it's all
about! Find out what brands of pianos are distributed around the building(s)
and get the manufacturers suggested yearly tuning schedule & provide the
Music Dep't with that information. Prepare a suggested service schedule for
the instruments with your fees attached. Include a short statement about your
training and experience. Provide a reference or two from any musicians, piano
teachers, dealerships, or persons who might be recognized by the staff.
Provide a business card or two with your 'information-packet'.

     Good-Luck in your quest, sir.

Sincerely,
Jeffrey T. Hickey, RPT
Oregon Coast Piano Services
TunerJeff @ aol.com

ps- One thing I always mention when promoting piano care is the "Piano Page".
They really have done a tremendous job with this, and the wealth of
information is astonishing. People are impressed by the thorough coverage
provided by it, it's a marvelous aid. If YOU haven't seen it, then I suggest
you take a look;
                 The PTG- Piano Page
          http:/www.prairienet.org/arts/ptg/homepage.html