1824 Erard

Tcoates@aol.com Tcoates@aol.com
Sat, 11 Jan 1997 13:28:22 -0500 (EST)

I just worked on an 1848 Erard this past week.  It had work done to it and
was donated to The Shrine to Music Museum.   I was able to talk to the
technician who did the work.  Basically, the early actions in the Erards are
always in a state of change (can't make a regulation stay put).  Having a
frontcheck catcher on the wippen doesn't help things.

The strings can be bought from Mapes.  You just need to tell them the gauge
and say it is for a low tension instrument.  The metal content is different
from modern string.  They can also make the wound strings.

I don't pretend to know much about this instrument.  I'm just relaying what I
gleaned from the technician who did rebuilding on this instrument.  He is not
on this listserv, but may sign on soon.

Tim Coates
University of South Dakota