Monochord (Made in occupied Japan)

Stephen F Schell stfrsc@juno.com
Fri, 10 Jan 1997 08:52:09 -0800 (PST)

Dear David and List,

Your previous replies were absolutely correct, and I can only add a little to what has been said. Jim Coleman Sr., your experience is really all encompassing!

                                           These "Monochords" were really
a minimal statement in a piano, but they are cute, and a significant
historical curiosity. They remind me of the "bubblecar" craze of the
1950s. I once owned and restored a BMW Isetta, a 300cc, one cylinder car
which was less than half the length of a VW beetle, had a top speed of 60
MPH with a tailwind, and commonly achieved 50 miles per gallon.

have seen at least six of these Monochords in Southern California, where
most of them were sold originally by Mannings Big Red Piano. The store
featured a "California Crazy" vernacular architectural motif;  the entry
to the store was built to resemble a red grand piano complete with propped lid, and the pedal lyre was on the front door. These pianos can be made
to work as well as they ever did, although certain details, like
disintegrating foam rubber backrail cloth, need to be attended to.

       I can only assume ( as I wasn't born until 1954) that the "Made in
Occupied Japan" disclaimer seen on these pianos was intended to diffuse
the postwar reluctance of many Americans to purchase Japanese products.
For me, this alone adds a historic significance to these unusual
instruments.

Steve Schell

stfrsc@juno.com