Re; Silent Series Piano

TunerJeff@aol.com TunerJeff@aol.com
Fri, 10 Jan 1997 02:33:28 -0500 (EST)

Dear Tom,

<<"Excuse me, but 12.0mm to 13.0mm is 1/2" or so, not 1/4.  (1" = 25.4mm)
     That is scary..."   Tom Rush (tarush@mindspring.com)>>

   You are correct, sir. I fear that I had the post from Charles in my brain
as I tapped out my post... in which he stated that HIS measurement was 1/4".
The manual does say; "12.0 to 13.0mm or 1/2". My focus was on the problem,
not the solution. (oooops!) Forgive the error, please.

     Granting that his let-off was this tight to the strings (...in a Silent
Series piano), and all else was at correct specification... the piano would
probably NOT be playing well. The jack wouldn't/couldn't be clearing the
hammer butt and would have poor repetition/bobbling hammers as a result.
(Which is why I suggested taking a look at increasing dip or let-off.)

     This let-off specification is for MP-100, MP-80, and MP-80T Silent
Series pianos covered by this March '96 manual. You'll notice that Eric
Leatha's post mentions a MP-100 piano with specifications from the inside of
the piano which differ from my manual. Of course, HE'S working for a large
dealership in Portland where new improved models appear. (Wheee!) I'd not be
surprised if Yamaha has managed to increase the playability of these
interesting pianos, and managed to reduce the let-off distance required by
the 'shank-stopper action'. And these specs. are also different from the
MX-100 or the MX-80, I suppose, as they are Disklavier-equipped and not
simply the "Silent Series" acoustic & MIDI-compatible critters I thought we
were talking about. Hmmmm. Mebbe we need more info from Charles regarding his
piano.
I automatically assumed it was an older MP-version. (sigh)

Thanks for your time,
Jeffrey T. Hickey, RPT
Oregon Coast Piano Services
TunerJeff @ aol.com

ps- Yamaha has a good service department, and is responsive to questions from
techs, if you'd like a manual for these pianos or have a problem... give 'em
a call/FAX.
Yamaha Piano Services
6600 Orangethorpe
Buena Park, Calif.  90620