GH1 voicing revisited

BDeTar@aol.com BDeTar@aol.com
Thu, 09 Jan 1997 19:45:40 -0500 (EST)

Hi Dave

Regarding the GH1 tenor/treble break, the original GH1 had plain strings on
the tenor bridge, same as current models.  There was a change made about a
year after introduction of the GH1 that included using wound strings for the
first several notes on the tenor bridge.  Later, we increased the length of
the tenor bridge (by about 5mm) and went back to using plain strings in this
area.

Although it's true that I did design a "retro" kit consisting of 3 unisons of
wound strings, using larger diameter plain wire on the next 3 notes, we don't
recommend using this method.  The reason is this.  If you choose to change to
wound strings and larger diameter plain wire, there is a considerable time
investment: approx 1 day when you figure in the time to retune the strings
you've replaced.  As you indicated in your original post, additional hitch
pins need to be installed (2, not 3).  In addition to this, the first 3
agraffes need to be changed to doubles instead of triples, and damper felts
need to be changed from trichord to bichord.

When comparing the cost of doing this work to the cost of judicious voicing,
the "right" solution is pretty obvious.  Voice instead of redesign.  I can
assure you that voicing can accomplish just as much improvement.

If you look at it philosophically, part of our responsibility to the customer
is to provide reasonable service for a reasonable fee.  The point here is
that, yes, we can improve the transition of the bass/tenor break on the GH1
by using wound strings.  You can accomplish the same degree of improvement by
proper voicing, thus saving the customer a considerable sum of money.

If you're interested, we could get together and work on these instruments.
 I'll be in Dallas (teaching a Disklavier Service Seminar) from 1/20 through
1/24.  Let me know what ya think!!

Hope this helps,

Brian De Tar,  RPT          "NO OBSTACLES...ONLY OPPORTUNITIES!!"
Yamaha Service Consultant
BDeTar@aol.com