Lo bass tuning

FirTree@aol.com FirTree@aol.com
Thu, 09 Jan 1997 22:17:54 -0500 (EST)

First reaction (internal!): What on earth is someone with an ear like that
doing with a spinet PSO laid on its back?

Second reaction (for public consumption): I would prepare a long, tactful
lecture on enharmonicity and the super small piano. It is not a matter of
tuning but of expectation. I might review and affirm her reasons for not
buying the Schmecklstein 7' she really wanted, the first probably being a
small budget. Again, in a tactful way, tell her you can't wave a magic tuning
hammer and change the *designed* tone of the piano.

Dave Stocker, RPT
firtree@aol.com
Tumwater, WA

<< I need some help.  I tuned a Kimball laPetite a month ago using my SAT and
 the customer called me back complaining about the low bass being out of
 tune.  . . .  It seems that no matter what I did she
insisted that the low notes were sharp.  So, working on A#0 I told her to
tell me when she thinks it sounds o.k.   I lowered it to where the string
sagged and she still called it sharp. >>