Lo bass tuning

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Thu, 09 Jan 1997 19:18:30 -0500 (EST)

Ted and the list.

With great respect to every one who suggested the customer was listening to
overtones, and partials, going to great lengths to show how they can destort
the true sound of a string,  I wonder if the problem has to do with her
definition of  "sharp". As piano tuners, we immediately think of "sharp" as
being higher in pitch. However, there are people who have a different
definition of that term.

Case in point. My wife was the soprano solist for a Jewish Temple. She prides
herself for her diction, and has a very clear, focussed and on pitch voice.
One of the more influential members of the congregation, however, complained
that she was always "sharp", and finally managed to get her dismissed. The
person who replaced her happend to be his daughter, who, according to the
organist, has a very weak, breathy, unfocussed voice. It appeared that this
member liked the unfocussed, fuzzy type of sound his daughter produced, and
felt that my wife's clear, focussed voice was "sharp".

To put this in perspective with your customer who thinks the low A, even when
reduced to a grumble, was sharp, ask her to define the term she is using.
Perhaps she is talking about something totally different than we are talking
about.

Hey, at this point what have you got to loose.

Willem Blees  RPT
St. Louis.