Lo bass tuning

Lance Lafargue lafargue@iAmerica.net
Thu, 09 Jan 1997 16:10:11 -0800

Ted Simmons wrote:

> I need some help.  I tuned a Kimball laPetite a month ago using my SAT and
> the customer called me back complaining about the low bass being out of
> tune.  When I got to her house I set up the SAT with the previously
> determined FAC numbers and checked A0, B0,A#0 and C1.  They were right on.
> She insisted that they were sharp.  To prove it she went to C#5 and
> compared it to A#0 and told me that it was tuned sharp and matched C#5. It
> really did sound that way. I took the SAT out of FAC mode and checked the
> double octave, the octave 5th and the double octave 5th against the low
> notes.  They checked out O.K.  It seems that no matter what I did she
> insisted that the low notes were sharp.  So, working on A#0 I told her to
> tell me when she thinks it sounds o.k.   I lowered it to where the string
> sagged and she still called it sharp.  I told her I would place this
> problem on the Pianotech net and see if they can help me out.   Anyone have
> any ideas on what my next step should be?  I'd appreciate any helpful
> comments.
>
> Ted Simmons, Merritt Island, FL

Hey Ted!
My next wish-of-a-move would be to suggest that the customer buy a piano
next time. I'd rather tune a spinet than the La Pitiful scale.  Don't
beat yourself up too much about it Ted. Hope I've not offended you Bubba
Grand lovers out there! When you tune a poor string scale, it's a matter
of choosing between the least offensive beat rates...Do your best with
what's there. You need to use yer ear on that low end, though! The
Accu-Tuner can't believe what it's hearing!! Does it have that synthetic
jack cushion material in it clicking like a castanet drum machine?? You
gotta replace that noisy stuff with real piano parts. Good luck!!

Lance Lafargue, RPT
New Orleans Chapter