Tuners--Broken Pins

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Sun, 05 Jan 1997 10:25:09 -0500

>Also, I have never seen a broken agraffe. Have I just been lucky?

Yes you have. I have replaced about two dozen over the last 20 years. I have
alos replaced entire sets, especially on Steinways.

One replacement, though, was a real gem. I got a call from a customer who
said her tuner tried to repair the agraffe, but left after he gave up. When I
got there, the tuner had broken a drill bit in the the stem of the agraffe.
To fix the problem, I had to drill out the hole, retap, and put in a larger
agraff. It took me about 4 hours, and two trips back to the shop.

The kicker in this whole thing was that the customer almost didn't pay me for
my time, citing the previous tuner was only going to charge her $30.

Willem Blees  RPT
St. Louis