Tuners--Broken Pins

Larry Gardner larryg@csufresno.edu
Sun, 05 Jan 1997 00:38:19 -0800

pianotech@byu.edu wrote:

> >Sy Zabrocki writes:
>
> How often do tuning pins break while tuning? Apparently not very often. It would interesting to know how many tuners have broken one and how many have not.
>
> In 38 years I never have experienced a broken pin. This time represents about 32,000 tunings.  Also, I have never seen a broken agraffe. Have I just been lucky?

Gee, am I the only one who's broken a pin, or I mean, a pin broke on me.

Last year, on a brand new Kawai upright, I just started to give this
bass string a nudge (well, I think it was 20¢ low), and I thought the
string broke.  Then I looked and the pin had broken off leaving about a
1/4" sticking out.  My advice is, don't mess around, get the pin
extractor tip from pianotech with reverse threads.  It worked great.

Larry Gardner, RPT
Fresno CA