Tuners--Broken Pins

Barrie Heaton Piano@forte.airtime.co.uk
Sun, 05 Jan 1997 12:58:13 +0000

No you are not the only one....  when I was training I did a six week
stint at Bentleys Piano makers,  I was putting the strain on a strung
back and six pins broke off.   I was not popular with the stringers
:-(  they do not like to put odd strings on and extracting pins.   BTW
this was the 70s union de-markation one man to one job, so I was not
allowed to change the string myself.

I have never broke one since but I have come across them and I agree the
extractors are vgood on 2/0 and up but are no good for small pins.   As
for agrafs I have never had one go when tuning,  but I have had a few
failures when trying to take them out,  this use to happen a lot when we
Electroplated the frames so the agraafs had to come out,  they would
be covered in gold plate otherwise.

Barrie

In article <32CF687B.4D91@mail.csufresno.edu>, Larry Gardner
<larryg@csufresno.edu> writes

--

Barrie Heaton                                  |  Be Environmentally Friendly
The UK PIano Page                              |