Hide glue tech tip

Frederick G Scoles scoles@oswego.edu
Fri, 03 Jan 1997 12:59:59 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 3 Jan 1997, Danny Moore wrote:

> Ron & List,
> Just a note to agree with your hot (glue) tip.  We used this method in
> school at HCC under Jim Geiger.  I've since tried other methods, and
> yours seems to be the most efficient.  Now, if someone will just come up
> with a way to eliminate the odor. . .
>
> Thanks,
> 	D.M.
As for the odor, Pianotek Supply Co., Mohawk, and Milligan &
Higgins, all suppliers of the highest quality hide glue suggest piano
rebuilders use only the highest quality hide glue.  It is almost clear in
color (slightly amber), and usually has very little odor.  They say that
the lower quality, darker batches are the ones that have the odor.  My
nose is dead (as are other parts of me I'm sure), but the family says
that the clearer, high quality glue is a drastic improvement.  If high
quality glue is accidentally over heated, it will of course smell as the
proteins are breaking down; then it's not glue any more.  It doesn't hurt
to clean the glue pot every so often, also. I think some of these things
were discussed about a yr. ago; Pianotech Archive.

I used to use the lower quality hide glues and sometimes a bone glue
(they don't cost quite as much), but everybody complained about the odor.

Fred Scoles, RPT