Needing help with Billings Flanges

Keith A. McGavern kam544@ionet.net
Thu, 02 Jan 1997 22:31:41 -0600 (CST)

>...I'm wondering whether there is something I can do, or maybe I just
>received a
>junky set of these things.
>
>Gordon Large
>Maine

Hi Gordon,

I can just visualize your situation.   Ouch!  Sorry to hear it.

Having minimally worked with the Billings flanges, I usually have always
retained the original flanges during a repinning operation, unless they
were broken.  I would spread apart the original, repin the hammer butt,
then reinstall.

In your situation you could use stick-on travel tape like APSCO sells.
I've used it for years.  Only recently have I started to cut non-stick
travel paper to size out of grocery sacks.  Even so, it will be
pain-stakingly slow.  Just can't imagine...

I couldn't find any reference on the Piano Archives Searcher for Billings.

I just reread your original post.  Did the new hammer butts have billings
flanges attached?  If so, you might experiment by installing the original
flanges on the new butts.

Just some ideas...might trigger something else on the list or with you.

Keith A. McGavern
kam544@ionet.net
Registered Piano Technician
Oklahoma Chapter 731