piano service in music colleges

Warren Fisher fish@communique.net
Wed, 01 Jan 1997 09:22:15 -0800

David Forman wrote:

> I am a piano technician at a music college with 150 pianos. Presently
> I am employed only 20 hours a week. I am trying to find out how many
> hours most colleges hire their technicians for when there are this
> many pianos to be serviced. Working this limited amount of hours with
> so many pianos certainly does not allow these instruments to be
> properly serviced. Knowing how other colleges deal with this will
> help us set up a better piano service program. Thank you in advance
> for your help.
>
> David Forman

David, do I understand correctly, that you are paid for work hours and
are not on a piece-work contract (so much for tuning, and so much hourly
for repairs)?  First you need to ask around the staff and find out what
amount of money the school will disburse for anything without going into
"bid mode".  The schools I work for will spend around $100-$200 per
piano (without even blinking) for additional work on 4-5 pianos per
semester and up to $300 for special cases.  The next thing I would do is
evaluate each piano needing re-conditioning, and put them in order of
importance to the staff, and how much needs to be done. Now pick the one
most worthy of help and spend 5-6 hours a week working on it and do
tunings the rest of the week.  You won't have to do more than one for
the right staff member for most colleges to see the light.  Also collect
information about the cost of new pianos like the one you're planning to
work on.  This will make many administators realize they can spend
considerably more to keep the pianos they already have in good shape!

Good Hunting!

Warren
--
Warren D. Fisher