Broken Agraffe

Jon Page jpage@capecod.net
Thu, 31 Oct 1996 13:29:22 -0500 (EST)

Use an ez-out to remove stud.
Fill drill hole with Marine-tex epoxy.
(use a drill bit shank to maintain
diameter of threads)
tap for new agraffe.

2 weeks ago I had the nightmare of nightmares !
ez-out broke in hole !
small drill bit alongside broke also !  !   help !! !!
I brought a machinist friend in to offer opinion:
        set up drill press w/ carbide tipped end mill.
back at his shop someone suggested a carbide
bit in a Dremel Tool.   MAGIC !
Buggered up the threads.   I used a drill bit shank
to maintain thread I.D., greased threads in lower
portion of hole and shank. Put some Marine-tex
around inside of hole and around shank (except
end). Inserted shank, using bottom of hole for position.
Next day,  removed shank, started tap from bottom
where threads were still good.  MAGIC !
Fitted new agraffe so as not to strain new threads.
What a relief ! ! !  Talk about snatching victory
from the jaws of defeat.

Jon Page
Cape Cod. Mass