Odd partial

Jim pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Thu, 31 Oct 1996 11:38:13 -0700 (mst)

Have you miked the three strings yet?  This can cause the kind of problem
you mentioned.  There is some variation in wire size from one package to
the next occasionally.  If the stringer ran out of wire in the middle of
a unison, and the next package was just a few 10ths (ten-thousandths) off,
this would be sufficient to cause a beat like that, but all the higher
partials above the 10th would also be out.

The other thing I can think of
is that sometimes the stringing braid in the tenor section under the Bass
strings may not be touching one of the tail lengths. This portion could be
energized by the offending note.  If that is the case, you should hear a
little after-ring at the 10th partial when a staccato key blow is used on
that note.  If that is the case, you could have someone else play the
note while you feel around in that area to see if the problem stop when you
are touching one of the tail lengths not necessarily of the offending note.

Jim Coleman, Sr.