message formats

UNATUNER@aol.com UNATUNER@aol.com
Thu, 31 Oct 1996 13:16:50 -0500

<<
 On Wed, 30 Oct 1996 TrptPlayer@aol.com wrote:

 >Would someone please explain again how to keep our messages from activating
 >the end line and carriage return characters?   I know this was discussed
 >quite a while ago but with the involvement of new  participants I am
 >receiving many messages that  have this very annoying format.  Perhaps
there
 >is some techno switch I can throw to keep all incoming mail in ASCI Format.
 >Everyone keep up the good work.  I enjoy the arguments, and am learning
about
 >our craft each day.
 >Tom Thompson,   Assoc. PTG,   MPT

 Tom,
 I don't know what you mean by "activating end line ...".  There are many
 problems with the way people format their email.  For instance, your
 line length is too long--  after being quoted a few times, your lines
 will begin to wrap eratically and be difficult to read.  You should set
 your line length to 72 characters, and use a mono-spaced font for your
 email display.

 A big problem is:  we don't know what our messages look like on other
 users' systems!  Would you like to start a co-operative effort to put
 together some "standards" and suggestions for improving our email
 posting in pianotech?  I'm game.

 Bill Bailer >>

Good topic.  I have a suggestion - Think how much easier this message would
be to  read if the the reply was at the top of the message.  That way you
would'nt have to scroll down through all that stuff up there (that you have
read 20 times allready) to get to the new message down here. It is especially
time consuming an annoying when there is  about a megabite of copy and the
new message at the bottom is something like "yeah, I agree".

Jerry Wood