Tuning old Chickerings

DAN G. LITWIN 71213.1421@CompuServe.COM
Thu, 13 Jun 1996 17:34:55 -0400 (EDT)

Vince Mrykalo asks how I know that the following statement that I made is true:

> 3) But most of all, and on all pianos, I will use a smooth hammer technique.
> Switching from the jerk such as I was taught in the Randy Potter course, to a
> smooth technique advocated to me by the late Danny Boone of Baylor Univ., has
> cut down on broken strings by a significant percentage - possibly %60 to %70.

I have simply observed it.  There has been a definite reduction in the number of
broken strings since I switched to a smooth technique.  The test sampling (all
of my tunings) is large enough to point to a trend.  It makes sense, too - If
you yank on something it will be more likely to break than if you use finesse.
As Danny Boone said "There's the smoothies, such as myself - and then there's
the jerks".

Now, I may be way off the mark.  This reduction in breakage could, in fact, be
due to the miraculous new Republican majority in congress.  I'm quite certain
that the Democrats never did anything about broken strings.  But, in reality, I
can see no plausible connection - except that the election of 1994 coincided
with the timing of the reduction in strings that break while I tune.  So I'm
sticking with my theory of a smooth hammer technique.

Dan Litwin
71213.1421@compuserve.com
San Diego Chapter PTG

PS - when I put in my 2 cents worth, I am certain it is worth at least 2 cents.