Tuning old Chickerings

jpage@capecod.net jpage@capecod.net
Thu, 13 Jun 1996 20:05:41 -0400

>Vince Mrykalo asks how I know that the following statement that I made is true:
>> 3) But most of all, and on all pianos, I will use a smooth hammer technique.
>> Switching from the jerk such as I was taught in the Randy Potter course, to a
>> smooth technique advocated to me by the late Danny Boone of Baylor Univ.,
has cut down on broken strings by possibly %60 to %70.
>I have simply observed it.  There has been a definite reduction in the
number of
>broken strings since I switched to a smooth technique.  The test sampling (all
>of my tunings) is large enough to point to a trend.  It makes sense, too - If
>you yank on something it will be more likely to break than if you use finesse.
>As Danny Boone said "There's the smoothies, such as myself - and then there's
>the jerks".

Words of wisdom from my mentor, Frank Kast of the Northern Virginia Chapter,

        Always let the string down first, this is to ease the rust deposit
at the
agraffe/pressure point. Otherwise, the extra tension built up on the tuning
pin side needed to get the string moving may break the wire.
90% of my string breakage is when I forget this.
        Let the string down enough to hear it release (not
radically-*ping*),  then pull smoothly with constant pressure. (Protek on
these points will last for years)

  * *  Jerking  -  is best confined to  *taps*  to ease torque.  *  *

        This is just one part of hammer technique which I apply to each tuning.

Jon Page
Jon Page
Cape Cod. Mass