Buzzes

Newton Hunt nhunt@rci.rutgers.edu
Tue, 11 Jun 1996 13:56:51 -0400

Hi, Paul,
      The most probable cause of this rolled bridge is that the belly rail
moved outward.  It would have to move only a few thou to effectively flatten
the crown of the board keyward of the bridge.
      The mid 70s was not known to be the best production years of Aeolion.
I do not know if this is an original factory problem which could arise if the
piano sat to an extended time before stringing, but I am inclined to think it
is a post factory defect caused by unfaverable climate, being pitch raised or
just having the belly rail move.
      Larry's idea is not a new one, I was shown flat caning reed used once
and I may use this proceudre as well.  The string or reed solves one problem
but introduces another in that the horizontal and vertical planes of vibration
are different thereby introducing false beats into the string.
      I have not yet approached the pastor with this idea.  I would need to
have a more thorough examination to determine the extent of the problem.  If
the entire bridge has rolled it is not seemly to place a center pin or reed
under all the strings.  For that much work I would rather recap and restring.
      Thanks for your interest.
            Newton
            nhunt@rci.rutgers.edu