Buzzes

Paul Stephens pauls@ieighty.net
Tue, 11 Jun 1996 08:04:25 -0700

Newton Hunt wrote:

> Dear List,
>
> Saturday I tuned a 1975 Knabe 5'6" (or so) that the customer complained of
> having buzzes in the middle.
>
> Initially I could not hear anything grossly amiss but as I tuned it I began
> to hear soft buzzing sounds that sounded much like something light on the
> soundboard or something touching the board.
>
> I checked for or did the following;
>     bearing, positive with middle leg near front bridge pins
>     bearing, no bearing with middle leg near back bridge pins
>     seating of strings on bridge and plate
>     loose bridge pins
>     leveled strings
>     moved strings left and right in agraffe
>     cracks in sound board, none at all
>     loose ribs, none at all
>     looseness around rim, none at all
>     DamppChaser rattles or touching sb, not
>     banging about for any looseness, no unusual noises
>
> I finished tuning and then decided to lower tension of the worst offender (C5)
> to see what I could see.  Bridge pins were tight so I left the strings
> unbridged and raised the tension and 'loe and beholde' the string did not
> touch the bridge at all and there was a decided gap of about .020" at the
> front of the bridge and maybe .005" at the back of the bridge.
>
> I had heard such noises before and had heard of rolled bridges but I had never
> seen such until now.  The church is not interested in sinking money of that
> magnitude into this piano, and I concur.
>
> But, something my wife said got me to thinking about some possible solutions.
>     1.   I have some metal bridge repair thingies that I could place on the
>          bridge to replace the bridge pins.
>     2    I could cut some hardwood wedges, .030" to .010" and wide enough
>          to fit between the front and rear bridge pins.
>     3.   An old trick taught me by someone, placing caning reed under the
>          string behind the front pins.
>
> I think there had been several tuners there without finding the problem
> because all of a sudden I have been invited to tune the pastors personal piano
> and the other pianos in the church.  A nice little gig for me.
>
> This is a pretty but an unworthy piano, but the subject may be of interest.
>
>               Newton
>               nhunt@rci.rutgers.edu

This is an interesting situation and probably not unique to this piano.
Several questions arise.  What caused the bridge to "roll"?  Is this a
problem which could have existed from the time of manufacture?  The sound
board has obviously failed as well.  Which came first, the loss of crown
or the rolled bridge?  Did one condition contribute to the other?

I don't have the answers, but I would appreciate the contributions of
those with more soundboard and bridge experience than I.  Thanks.

Paul Stephens, RPT