What's the Buzz & Renner USA

Larry Fisher larryf@pacifier.com
Tue, 11 Jun 1996 06:57:34 -0800

>From: Newton Hunt <nhunt@rci.rutgers.edu>
>Subject: Buzzes
>
>Saturday I tuned a 1975 Knabe 5'6" (or so) that the customer complained of
>having buzzes in the middle.
>
>Initially I could not hear anything grossly amiss but as I tuned it I began
>to hear soft buzzing sounds that sounded much like something light on the
>soundboard or something touching the board.
>
>But, something my wife said got me to thinking about some possible solutions.
>    1.   I have some metal bridge repair thingies that I could place on the
>         bridge to replace the bridge pins.
>    2    I could cut some hardwood wedges, .030" to .010" and wide enough
>         to fit between the front and rear bridge pins.
>    3.   An old trick taught me by someone, placing caning reed under the
>         string behind the front pins.
>

>              Newton
>              nhunt@rci.rutgers.edu

I repaired an old upright bass bridge that had warped radially, (twisted) so
the upper end had no bearing on the front, and the bass had no bearing on
the rear.  I added some pianner wahr (piano wire)to take up the lack of
bearing.  I've done this on those hard wood bearing bars in old uprights
near the tuning pins and have eliminated the need for new bass strings.  In
all cases, the bearing was improved, the termination was improved and so the
bass became clear, big and boomy again.  Some have wondered wheather or not
I had buzzing because the strings were now crossing over steel instead of
wood.  I've never had that problem but I've often wondered if the hard
string that I added rubbing against the bass string would cause excessive
wear.  The bridge pins and the plate and the brass bearing bars customarily
used in production are all softer than the strings and so they don't pose a
"threat" to the strings.  We're talking cheap fixes here on old pianos that
don't warrant the expenditure of sums of money that exceed the value of the
instrument.  The repair prolongs the eventual trip 2 DUH  DUMP.  I guess you
could use brazing rod, they come in lots of different sizes.

Comments??

>8-(,>>>

>------------------------------

>From: Lloyd Meyer <76326.1511@CompuServe.COM>

>Subject: Renner USA Responds / L. Meyer

, mention was made of the advantages of the Renner USA
>Sample Parts Kit, and the difficulty in getting one.  I'm afraid we have to
>plead guilty on both counts, and would like to clarify our position on this.

  We just haven't been able to provide the Parts
>Kit Upgrade until now.

.  I trust
>this message will not be viewed as too commercial, I just felt you deserved a
>response to the questions being raised.  If you find this kind of message
>objectionable, please let me know and it won't be repeated.  Again, we
>appreciate your continued support and wish you all the best as we approach what
>for many of you is a very busy season.
>
>Lloyd Meyer

Hi Lloyd,

Your info is not viewed as commercial by this subscriber.  It is viewed as
VERY USEFUL INFORMATION and please continue your valued follow up on every
Renner USA issue.

Keep up the good work.  I find Renner products to be top notch and find your
post to be of equal caliber.

Larry Fisher RPT

ps.   I hope you don't mind if I only pronounce one of those L's in your
name..... you can pronounce only one of my R's if you wish.

                           Larry Fisher RPT, Metro Portland, Oregon's
                  Factory Preferred Installer for MSR/PianoDisc Products
                       phone 360-256-2999 or email larryf@pacifier.com
                  http://pacifier.com/~larryf/homepage.html (revised 5/96)
                         Beau Dahnker pianos work best under water