(Fwd) Re: Piano Rescaling Software

Rob Kiddell atonal@planet.eon.net
Thu, 06 Jun 1996 19:38:36 +0000

From:          Self <rob>
To:            XSVM93A@prodigy.com (MR ALLAN H DAY)
Subject:       Re: Piano Rescaling Software
Date:          Thu, 6 Jun 1996 19:35:38

Thanks for the reply Allan,

      Regarding your quick way for measuring strings: I've invested in the
Starett digital micrometer to get fast, accurate readings on my
string sizes (wound & unwound), and then plugged the results, along
with the speaking lengths into my humble MSWorks spreadsheet for
quick analysis. I've programmed in a combination Sanderson/Roberts
formulas for this (two inharmonicity calculations, I compare the
curves to check for simultaneous errors), and get a good reading of
the existing scale.
      My spreadsheet is weak on new scale calculation, I have to
experiment with wire sizes and speaking lengths to get what I
consider optimim results. So far, I've done 4 uprights and 1 4' 7"
Reed & Sons grand (why do all the small grands get rescaled?).
Results were fair to good, but I need something less time-consuming.

Thanks for your input,  8-) Rob
Rob Kiddell
C.A.P.T. Student
P.T.G. Associate