GLUE SIZING

scott.e.johnson@24stex.com scott.e.johnson@24stex.com
Thu, 06 Jun 1996 08:28:44 -0800

 Ro> Subject: Glue sizing

 Ro> I have never glue sized before.  I understand that its
 Ro> application is to resize a worn out birdseye.
 Ro> Would anyone kindly walk me through it once.
 Ro> Ron Shiflet, RPT

I've glue sized a lot of balance rail holes. You may want to consider replace-
ment of the hammer butts and flanges (I assume it's an upright) if the
birdseyes are that worn.

Most people say now to use a thin solution of yellow carpenter glue,
(alaphatic resin) or white glue instead of hot glue. This is because the hot
glue dries so hard and can contribute to noise.

Mix in enough water with the glue to get a consistency about like very hot
honey. Use a pipe cleaner or hammer shank run in a pencil sharpener to apply
the sizeing to the hole from both sides. If the wood seems very glazed you
could very lightly sand it to open up the surface fibers. After it has dried
for a few minutes run a #19 center pin through the hole. When it has dried
all the way, pin on a new flange or rebush the old one.

Thats all I can think off,
Scott Johnson
scott.e.johnson@24stex.com

___ Blue Wave/DOS v2.21 [NR]