Wild Strings

Wippen@aol.com Wippen@aol.com
Sat, 01 Jun 1996 23:33:07 -0400

 John Piesik writes,

I tuned a 1990 GS-70 on a concert stage last night.  I initially thought it
would be a pleasant experience - it wasn't.  The pinblock was as mushy as a
bowl of overcooked canned peas, and several treble strings in the capo
section beat (on their very own, individually) like a wild banshee.

(snip)

Are these typical characteristics of this new 7'5" $30K piano model?

John,
I have several late model GS-70's, 2 at my University (part a loan program)
and a couple owned by private customers.

I have not encountered any of the maladies you describe. All needed a bunch
of "prepping" ( strange word that, I prefer *completion*), but no wild
strings, etc. Pins are VERY tight.

Check all the termination points, bridge seating, etc. Look carefully at the
bridge notching/bridge pin relationships. The notch should exactly bisect the
bridge pin hole. Having done this and the problem still exists try replacing
the string, could be a bad run of wire although this is not very likly. Call
Kawai?

Good Luck
Paul Dempsey
Marshall University