Wild Strings

Newton Hunt nhunt@rci.rutgers.edu
Sat, 01 Jun 1996 17:53:05 -0400

No it is not typical for current Kawais to have mushy pinblocks although I have
several older ones that have loose pins but not mush.

I have found that by using a vertical hammershank and using it to press down on
the offending string with considerable pressure and running that shank toward
the bridge trule offensively false beating strings can be cleared up nicely.

My stgring lifter is double ended.  I removed the handle and cut and smoothed
and rounded a slot about 3/32" deep in the end of the handle end of the lifter.
I use this to smooth the strings and also to gnetly bend the pin around the
bridge pin in either direction.  This sometimes work and getting out a nasty.
This little trick was shown bu John Hartman.  Lovely little gadgit.

If tightening plate screws does not help this piano get in touch with Kawai .
It may still be under warrenty.

      Newton
      nhunt@rci.rutgers.edu