Proof "reading" Accu-tunings

jpiesik@arinc.com jpiesik@arinc.com
Wed, 31 Jul 1996 09:57:47 -0400

    Barbara writes:

    ". . . I never had an artist comment about the tuning.  I found that
    they were most concerned with the eveness of voicing and regulation."

    I must agree.  I have spoken with and listened to several artists and
    performers.  I have learned that their major concerns in a concert
    situation are, in the following order:

    1.  A well-voiced piano that allows a wide, even, consistent range of
        dynamics and color.

    2.  A well-regulated action that responds evenly to the lightest of
        touch and a responsive, properly-adjusted pedal system.

    3.  Clean, solid unsions that won't slip out during the performance.

    4.  A good tuning.

    I'm not suggesting that a well-tuned piano is not important, just not
    as important.  All aspects are important as a whole, yet some take a
    higher priority.  Any comments?

    Regards,

    John Piesik
    San Diego Chapter PTG