Rebuilding Cost Adjustments

Avery Todd ATodd@UH.EDU
Wed, 31 Jul 1996 10:11:44 -0500

Hi everyone,
   We recently had returned a rebuilt S&S 'B' which needs to have a few
relatively minor problems corrected. I have never been in this situation
before and would like some comments on whether or not any cost adjustment
should be done before the bill is paid in full.
   The primary "dislike" of the piano is in the voicing; it's just too
mellow, even for a teacher's studio size room. Everyone keeps gravitating
to a new Kawai lease piano beside it, because they just can't get any power
out the 'B'. So I'm going to have to do a good amount of voicing to bring
it up, at least to the level of the Kawai. FYI, Abel hammers were installed
on it.
   The other problem: a new keyboard (from Pianotek) was installed and the
highest 2-3 sharps click on the fallboard when released. Also, when the
fallboard is opened and closed the back of it rubs on most of the key
buttons and causes the hammers to lift.
   The action is fine and it feels great. I realize none of the problems
are serious and can be corrected fairly easily, but it will involve several
hours that I could be spending on the 115 or so other instruments.
   Should I just forget it and go ahead, or make some price adjustment.
This was not done by anyone in this general area, so there is a
considerable distance problem in asking the rebuilder to come and do the
work.
   Any comments on handling this situation would be greatly appreciated.
Privately, if you would prefer.
   Thanks.

Avery

Avery Todd, RPT