Use of SAt on spinet (Reply)

FRED W TREMPER f.trempe@morehead-st.edu
Wed, 31 Jul 1996 07:52:57 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 30 Jul 1996, Barb Barasa wrote:

> >Barb,
> >   Just as a side comment, I used to have to tune a Grand spinet (yes, it
> >was a brand name!?) and I was always very frustrated when I left because I
> >was never satisfied with the tuning. I had recently purchased a new
> >Sight-O-Tuner (the predecessor to the SAT's) and decided to try it. I went
> >strictly by the book on that tuning and it was the best that PSO had ever
> >sounded. Unlike me, the machine wasn't fooled by all the wild strings,
> >harmonics, etc. that pianos like that have.
> >
> >_____________________________________
> >Avery Todd, RPT
>
> I tuned one of these once.  (Thankfully they never called me back.)  When I
> first sat down at it, I thought, "What the **** was somebody DOING when they
> tuned this thing the last time??!!"  After struggling with it for what
> seemed like a lifetime, I finally "finished" (gave in).  When I sat down a
> played a little, I thought, "What was *I* doing when I tuned this thing??!!"
> Also, aside from just generally sloppy engineering,  the bridge pins looked
> like they neede orthodontic work.
>
> Well, so what you guys are saying (among other things) is that these here
> gadgets can save us a lot of mental anguish when we come in contact with
> alien beings!  Sounds good to me!
>
> Barb Barasa

Dear Colleagues:

My experience with a Grand spinet had a different twist.  When I was a
member of the Chicago chapter and the NAMM show was held in Chicago, I
went with a friend of mine.  As we went for display to display, I saw
ahead the booth occupied by the manufacturer of the Grand spinet.  As we
approached I nudged my friend on the arm and said we were in for a great
time because this was undoubtedly the worst piano that was ever created.

When we got to the booth I sat down and played and was amazed.  It was
one of the best sounds I have ever heard.  The action was smooth and the
voicing was perfect.  What happened then occurred to me.  Some time
before the NAMM show they took a Grand off the line and gave it to a
first rate technician.  Undoubtedly he worked on it for a couple of
weeks, doing everything he could to prepare it for the show.  He really
succeeded.

The moral of the story is that any piano (even PSO ones) can be improved
if we practice out art to the fullest and are willing to spend the time
and energy to do it.

Fred
Fred W. Tremper, RPT
Morehead State University