SATs

Tunrboy@aol.com Tunrboy@aol.com
Wed, 31 Jul 1996 02:25:03 -0400

I have owned a SAT.  It is a fine instrument.  I used it diligently for two
years.
Then one day it died and I panicked.  That I was so tied to this machine
scared me and so I put it in my garage and eventually gave it away (still
awaiting payment).  Two things I noticed after it left:

1)  I had not earned the right to use it.  I was not a good aural tuner and
did not understand the basic principles of tuning tests and checks.  The SAT
DID give me an idea what the norm is.

2)  Within two months of my "weaning", I was able to hear more tonally and
focus mentally on it.  I am NOT saying that SAT tuners cannot hear this, I am
saying that only by truly focussing MY concentration and abilities did these
all-important aspects present themselves to me.  I know I am a better tuner
and tone regulator today than I was a year ago and continue to listen and
LEARN to listen more daily.    The question is:  Would my progress have
advanced as it has were I still "accu-tuning"?  My personal bias says no.

Oh, and we're not balancing checkbooks or lighting lamps here.
Ask yourself this:  If piano tuning is not a frequency matching activity,
what is it?

Eric Leatha, RPT
tunrboy@aol.com
Portland, OR