Removing action on Wurlitzer

FirTree@aol.com FirTree@aol.com
Wed, 31 Jul 1996 03:14:42 -0400

<< I need to remove the action of a Wurlitzer drop action piano in order to
 repin or freeup some sluggish flanges.  It will be the first one I've worked
 on.  It seems Wurlitzers are not common (fortunately?) in South Africa.  The
 removal appears to involve loosening all the abstracts.  Before tackling
this
 job I would appreciate any cautions/hints from those with experience.  In
 giving a quotation for this work how much time is normal  for removal and
 replacement.

 Gary Isaac
 Umtata, South Africa

There are several models of wurlitzer spinet, with different kinds of lifters
(fingers, abstracts, or whatever). The most important thing to do is to stop,
look, and think. All actions are designed to be removable without messing up
the regulation. (OK, some were designed by idiots who never had to remove one
themselves!)

I normally allow 1/2 hour for removal / replacement and often take less time.
It will probably take you longer, and you may be tempted to do some minor
regulation at the same time.

Good luck, and don't be afraid to ask more questions!

Dave Stocker, RPT
firtree@aol.com
Tumwater, WA