Perspectives (Re: True or False)

Barrie Heaton Piano@forte.airtime.co.uk
Mon, 29 Jul 1996 20:38:33 +0100

In article <960728202605_371898654@emout10.mail.aol.com>, A440A@aol.com
writes

>To which Barrie replies;
>
>>Thanks Jim
>>I knew it would be controversial subject on the list but I didn't
>>realise I would get so many private emails as well.  Thanks.
>
>   I would like to ask Barrie  what was the general consensus  among his
>private emails, I am not asking for specifics or names, just a general image
>of what the controversy looks like these days.
>       ( I was tuning aurally for many years before arthritis forced me to
>reduce what  hand abuse I could, I got a SAT and kicked myself for not doing
>it earlier!! )
>
>Regards,
>Ed Foote
>Precision Piano Works
>Nashville, Tn.

Hi  Ed,

First of all I should explain a little more why I asked the list the
question in the first place.

In the UK there is growing concern among piano tuners who have spent
three years or more training to be a piano tuner. That along comes Joe
buys his tuning aid on Monday and sets himself up as a professional
tuner on Tuesday.

>From what I have observed from the list and private emails, the above
suspicions are ratified on some of the grounds listed below.

1. The overwhelming majority believe that the accu-tuner and similar
products in the correct hands is a very useful tool.

2. One of the best features is its ability to store tunings, this seems
to be of great use to those who are tuning in Colleges and Universities
practice rooms.

3. The Accu-tuner cannot be used to tune a piano accurately if the
person whose tuning it is totally deaf.

4. The overwhelming  majority said that they were oral tuners before
they moved on to electronic tuning and still tweaked the tuning oraly.

5. It would appear that tuning small uprights and baby Grands you need
a PHD in computer science to calculate octave stretching on the accu-
tuner.

6. Less accurate electronic tuning aids are cashing in on the accu-
tuniners reputation and these elctronic tuners are ginving the general
public a false improession of tuners with tuning aids who do an
inferrior tuning.

My personal observation

 I feel that the US. is very much more geared up to part-time courses
and correspondence courses and support from fellow tuners than the UK.
as the overwhelming majority of piano tuners in the UK. tune orally, I
do not think a person setting up with an electronic tuning aid will
receive much support from the piano tuners in the UK. However, in time,
this could change.  At present I personally know of only one  who uses
electronic tuning aids and  have since found out through the list, he is
an agent for them.  I do believe that the accu-tuner is a useful tool in
the right hands going by the passionate belief of the list.  However, I
also believe that poor marketing can have serious reproductions on the
general publics' confidence of the piano tuning fraternity if these
machines are allowed to be purchased by any one.  Luckily for us in the
UK. there is a movement in the EEC. to make it a law that all trades men
and professionals entering the general publics' homes must belong to a
relevant professional body and have the relevant qualifications.  Until
this happens I don't think you will convince the majority of piano
tuners in the UK. that the accu-tuner is the best thing since sliced
bread. Unless of course they are using it them selfs.

The accuracy

 The claim of 95 per cent accuracy is probably correct on
the theoretical fundamentals.  However, since the operator needs
a great deal of skill to calculate the octave stretching.  Then the
claim that electronic tuning aids give a consistent tuning is unfounded.

If the operator is not an experienced user and does not know how to set
the machine correctly then therefore, the tuning will not be constant.
I know this is not the fault of the machine but the fault of the
operator but it would seem from the list and the fact that seminars are
run that this is a common problem.  This of course does not distract
from the fact that the tuner appears to be a useful aid.  But on the
training that is given when one purchases a tuning aid.

This is a personal observation and does not represent the views of any
organisation I am associated with.

Kind regards,

Barrie.
--
Barrie Heaton                                  |  Be Environmentally Friendly
The UK PIano Page                              |