Falcone Piano Query

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Tue, 23 Jul 1996 23:06:49 -0700 (MST)

Dear Rob:

Falcone pianos were made in the Boston Area.  The pianos were patterned
after the Hamburg Steinway models D, C and short A.  Their sound charact-
eristics were quite similar.  The soundboard of the D had what was called
a soundboard calibrator which could relieve stress and free up the tone
after the piano was built.  The pianos were made with great integrity as
far as workmanship was concerned.  When Mr. Falcone was not able to turn
the corner in making it a profitable venture, he brought in investors
who later took over the company.  He left shortly after he realized that
he no longer had control.  That venture eventually failed and the Piano
Disk people have recently bought the remains of that and Mason & Hamlin
and Knabe.  Production of the Mason & Hamlin line is already starting up
production in Hillsdale, MA expecting shipments by Nov.  There are no
immediate plans for resurrecting Falcone at this time however.  Would you
like to buy a good piano company?  I don't know that it is for sale.

Jim Coleman, Sr.