Sticking styrene flanges

Ronald R Shiflet ron_and_lorene@juno.com
Wed, 17 Jul 1996 20:22:11 -0800 (PST)

Ted,
	Don Mannino from Kawai came to my rescue.  We've been going back
and forth online for the last few days.  I think he took a laptop to
Dearborn.  Anyway, he's been online from there.  He's a really neat guy.
 One of these days I'll have to meet him.
	Don mentioned that althought the ABS doesn't swell, the wool
still can.  He said the best results would be to ream and repin.  I'll
keep the list posted on this project.  I'll probably go back to this
piano in about a week or so.
	I haven't seen this subject come up before and most people
responding are looking for answers also but all seem to agree that the
Kawai flanges have a good track record and rarely stick.  I concur.

	I have never liked the results of the reamers since they taper.
He told me to use straight reamers.  I didn't know they existed.  My
tapered oldies from Tuners Supply are headed to the garbage (unless the
ineveitable happens...that is...someone will get online with a great
tech tip for them !!!)

Ron

>Out of literally hundreds of new Kawai pianos I have serviced, only one
>CX-21D had sticking flanges.  I have NO explanation for this piano.  Not
>even pro-tek worked.  Had to ream and repin. The piano started
>developing this ailment, flange by flange after delivery, and after 6
>months was barely playable.  I guess some pianos could be nicknamed
>Christine.  But like I said, this was ONE out of hundreds!
>
>Carol Beigel, RPT
>College Park, Maryland

I've had the same experience.  Time for Kawai to step in here.

Ted Simmons