Steinway M Problem

Avery Todd ATodd@UH.EDU
Fri, 12 Jul 1996 16:59:18 -0500

List,
   Below is a post I received, with a few cuts, from a former subscriber to
the piano list. I'm once again asking for your help. I sent him a message
asking for a little more information and he just now called me on the phone
to be able to discuss it easier. Before it was put up for sale, it was
located at UC Davis.
   The serial number for this M is #176320, supposedly rebuilt with all new
keys and action parts. The "55" he mentions below refers to the downweight,
which seems pretty heavy to me. To need that much weight I would think
there is a friction problem, hammers too big, and/or a geometry problem.
   His technician can't get to him until the end of September and he's
understandably concerned about the physical problem he's having.
   Any comments that I can forward to him would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Avery

>Date: Wed, 10 Jul 1996 17:12:13 -0800
>From: mirate@dofm.berkeley.edu (Craig)
>Subject: Steinway M
>
>Avery,
>
> I just bought a Steinway M that was completely rebuilt and refinished.  It
>has Abel hammers.  I was told that it is about 40 years old, but I will
>check the S/N with what I got from Steinway to get the exact date.
>
>My question is concerning the action.  It is a new action, and supposedly
>regulated at 55.  However, I took my first lesson in a long time and just
>so happened that the teacher I am with now has my old teacher's B with the
>action from hell.  This B has a reputation in my area for being stiff as a
>board, but the piano has a beautiful tone.  The action on my M feels
>stiffer -- the B feels feather light in comparison.
>
>The tone overall is fantastic, and it has an excellent dynamic range.
>
>Is this because my action is new or what?  It feels uniform across the
>keyboard, but it is uniformly hard.  I am very concerned because I have
>developed tendonitis, and my doctor told me to get the action fixed.  If it
>is because it is new, how long must I wait for it to ease up?

Avery Todd, RPT
Moores School of Music
University of Houston
Houston, TX 77204-4893