Mildewed piano

SprBil@aol.com SprBil@aol.com
Fri, 12 Jul 1996 17:56:09 -0400

> I've never seen mildew inside a piano
>  and I live on the Florida coast.  I doubt that there is a de-humidifier
>  system in it -- she said it's moved around a lot.  I've scheduled next
>  Wednesday (7/17) to inspect it.  Any helpful suggestions on what else
might
>  happen to this piano other than what I've already mentioned?  The piano is
>  a Yamaha studio. Any comment will be welcome.
>       Ted Simmons

Hi Ted,

I see a lot of midewed pianos.   Without proper humidity control you can
expect very rusted strings and tuning pins w/in 6 months, a "frozen" action
that may need to be repinned, and a musty ordor that is difficult to get rid
of.  I usually bring the action into my shop to dry out, clean, and repin as
needed.  I have cleaned rusty string before, but no matter how good a job you
can manage, the stuff will creep back if the humidity problem is not
corrected.  In extreme cases the key bushing will be affected  and over time
the keyleads will expand and need to be repalced as well.

I use Novus plastic polish # 1 to clean off the case & keytops, Scotch-brite,
Steel-wool Polita bars, and lots of "Elbow grease" for the strings and tuning
pins.

Bill Springer,RPT
Honolulu. HI