Mute Rail

Avery Todd ATodd@UH.EDU
Fri, 12 Jul 1996 17:18:45 -0500

Ron,
   I changed the "to" address because you're original message was
originally sent to the ptg-l list. Whoops? <G>
   I'm sure the mute rail would work, but I would think it would be *too*
soft. Unless that's what they want.  Have you considered placing the piano
on an area rug (type of thing) in a style that would go with the room?
Maybe that would help some.
   Also, how about softening the hammers? Are they pretty bright? Hammer
filing, followed by voicing (maybe steaming?) might also help.
   One other thought is about the location of the piano in the room.
Perhaps a different location or angle might affect the way the sound is
distributed in the room.
   You said "put a blanket behind the piano". Do you mean on the wall or on
the back of the piano. On the back should be more effective.
   Just some thoughts. Let us know.

>List,
>        I received a new customer yesterday that will likely become a
>regular,  over time.  It is a motel/restaurant with a Wurlitzer spinet
>from the 70's, horribly out of tune.  Two of the walls are all windows.
>It has an expensive Southwest Spanish tile floor.  The room is rather
>small maybe 20x30 with about 20 tables.  The piano is overpowering the
>room.  The owner put a blanket behind the piano but to no avail.
>        In addition to the tuning, I suggested installing a mute rail as
>the most inexpensive method yielding the best results.  I don't think
>regulation or changing hammers are practical at this point.  Does
>everyone agree with my suggestion about the mute rail?  I think my
>biggest fear is that this piano would be fine in a carpeted room so
>installing a mute rail might make the tone 'dead'? Does anyone have
>anything they'd like to add?  Thanks
>
>Ron Shiflet, RPT
>Ron_and_Lorene@Juno.com

Avery Todd, RPT