Cholera, PVC-E,stinky pinkies, sticky pinkies, and other serious junque.

Barb Barasa bbarasa@tbcnet.com
Tue, 09 Jul 1996 09:28:50 -0500

>Well, glueing ivory has been covered by a few on the list and a bunch of
>them use glue wafers, hot hide glue, and the like.  I've been using Super
>Glue for a few years and have enjoyed excellent results.  Cyanoacrylate
>sticks your little pinkies together quite effectively and without
>hesitation.  That tells me that mayhaps body parts react favorably with the
>bonding process.  Ivory, being a body part of an Elephant (no not your
>inlaw's, although ......hmmmm.), reacts very similar to that of glueing your
>tender little pinkies together.  FAST and FIRM!!!

Well, Larry, YOU may consider this to be an advantage, but ...

I clean the surface of
>both the underside of the ivory, and the key.  If the glue wafer has turned
>dark from dirty pinkies touching it, it will need to be cleaned until it is
>white again, or a small amount of white spray paint will do the job.
Most ivories are translucent and so they
>will take on the basic idea of the color behind them.

My wonderful mentors suggested Liquid Paper, so I just carry a little bottle
in my tool box.  Works great!  But, yes, washing those puppies off first is
a must.

There are different thicknesses of this stuff, water thin
>being the quickest and a medium bodied glue that takes about 15 seconds or
>so and then a heavy bodied glue that is good for filling gaps like those
>found in my neighbors kid's head!!

Yeah, I use Zip and Zap, mostly 'cause I like the names, but also I can get
it at hobby shops.  Never tried it gaps in heads, tho.  Hmmmmm...

As far as ivories, think I'll stick to contact cement.  Someone MIGHT want
to take those things off some day without ripping the wood all to shreds,
and I don't see any way of getting any debonder under the ivory.

>>Barb B.         [dah, like does duh B stand for BABE hey??]

Like, SURE!  Ya know?  (Actually one of my coworkers said yesterday he
thought I was a "kookie babe."  This got me off onto Kookie, Kookie, lend me
your comb ... which he (and probably you) is too young to remember.)

Barb (Babe) BARASA
Sycamore IL

Soon to be moving to Ashland Oregon ... the GOORMET spot to be.  (Watch out,
Lar.  I may bring some Chicago yuppie stuff out west!)

>Lar

Rhymes with Har Har Har, right??  Or is it Hair, Hair, Hair?