Buzz Off spray

Larry Fisher larryf@pacifier.com
Tue, 09 Jul 1996 08:07:33 -0800

Duh Udder day, I was in Tillamook county (cow country) and was asked to find
a particular buzz in a K&C console piano about 15 years old or so.  The C
two octaves above middle C would produce a high frequency sympathetic
buzzzzzzzz as the piano would go flat with time.  I told her that was a
built in "call the tuner" signal that cost a bunch extra when the pianner
was new.......... she didn't swallow it.  So I had to proceed to find the
buzzzzzz before I tuned it.  I cleaned out the disgusting junk found between
the soundboard and filler blocks in the back of the piano,  pressed on all
the areas above and below the speaking lengths of the string, looked for
wood chips or small pieces of wire up against the string by the bridge, I
muted the non-speaking lengths of string in the neighborhood an octave up
and and octave down, and started pressing on the the soundboard, plate and
bridges to find this little begger.  As I'd press in certain places the
buzzzzzz would go away.  I used a combination of my ears and pressing on
places to zero in on the culprit.  I put my ears up really close to the
bridges and soundboard to hopefully find a difference in volume, listening
only to the really high component of the note, that being the buzzzz that
we're looking for.  I lucked out with this proceedure and found the volume
to be louder near the bass bridge.  Pressing sensitively on the bass bridge
and the strings I found the buzzzz to be coming from the #3 bass string
betwixt the two bridge pins.  I reseated the string, plus all the others on
the bass bridge, and for some additional peace of mind, I drove those two
bridge pins in a wee hair.

No buzzzzz, happy customer, job insurance for the future, money in my
pocket, smile on my face.

Gotta go.

Lar

                           Larry Fisher RPT, Metro Portland, Oregon's
                  Factory Preferred Installer for MSR/PianoDisc Products
                       phone 360-256-2999 or email larryf@pacifier.com
                  http://pacifier.com/~larryf/homepage.html (revised 5/96)
                         Beau Dahnker pianos work best under water