keytops ivories & plastic

Frederick G Scoles scoles@Oswego.Oswego.EDU
Tue, 09 Jul 1996 09:37:58 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 8 Jul 1996 JIMRPT@aol.com wrote:

> between the key and keytop.  You see that union creates a perfect enviroment
> for polystermites to grow and they have a voracious appetite for plastic.
> Polyestermites were created by a laboratory for the CIA to use during the
> early years of the cold war against the Soviet Union and their emerging
> plastics technology.  Unfortunately they were allowed to escape and now
> infest most of the known world. They show up wherever there is a overabudant
> use of solvent type cements in conjuction with plastic materials. As proof I
> ask you if you have ever seen this dimpling on Ivories?
> Jim Bryant (FL)
Jim, perhaps you've spent a few too many hours inhaling the glues, Ha!
Reminds me of my fourth grade art project where each student constructed
something from toothpicks.  I made a three feet high pyramid, but used
Duco Cement instead of the recommended Elmers white glue.  After several
hours with the Duco, I saw alot more than just pyramids!

I think there is alot to be said for some of the environmentally safer
(PVC-E, etc.) glues.

Fred Scoles
Oswego, NY