Key Lead Corrosion

Edwin A. Hilbert hilbert@panther.middlebury.edu
Thu, 04 Jul 1996 00:31:27 -0400 (EDT)

As for keys with lead so swollen that one has to break keys ...
I too have had keys that were so seized by swollen leads that they would
not move at all.  Indeed they were being forced outward by the pressure
generated.  However, I have not had to break any keys.  I have always
been able to insert a hacksaw blade between the keys and to cut through
the leads.  Often going every other key will be enough to allow them to
be forced off the keyframe.  Once off the keyframe, it is relatively easy
to cut the leads back flush to the key with a sharp chisel.
Ed Hilbert