Hammer Jigs

McNeilTom@aol.com McNeilTom@aol.com
Thu, 04 Jul 1996 00:37:20 -0400

To John Hartman, and list -

I tried the Jaras hammer hanging jig many years ago.  The jig wasn't mine,
and I only used it on (I think) three sets of grand hammers.  I was a rookie
then, didn't know much about hanging hammers - with or without a jig.  I
thought it was useful in getting an orderly installation, and kinda wanted
the jig, but couldn't afford it.  I learned to live without it.

A couple years ago, I saw the Jaras jig demonstrated at a PTG chapter
meeting.  My conclusion then was that the jig introduced quite a bit of
commotion to do a job I had learned (over a couple of decades) to do very
well "by hand".  I couldn't see that it was any faster, even if you disregard
setup time.  And I'm sure it doesn't result in any better job than I do by
hand.

Just my opinion.  (Haven't tried the Spurlock.)

-     -     Tom McNeil     -     -
Vermont Piano Restorations