Balance Weight and Ratios

Dennis Johnson johnsond@stolaf.edu
Wed, 21 Feb 1996 16:38:51 -0600

Sorry, its me again.

Wouldn't it be more accurate, and hence, serve to reduce the difference
between SWR and SMR even further if when calculating balance weight we
would take the sum of balanced up and down weights x actual key ratio, as
opposed to an arbitary, generic average? It makes no sense to use actual
key ratio for calculation of SMR, but some non-specific value (.5) for SWR.

Whether you use the traditional straight line key ratio, or PW/WA (h/v), it
really should be consistant. Naturally, this would apply to normal
touchweight measurements as well, but I suppose that considering how
limited touchweight information is anyway, it wouldn't make much
difference.

Dennis Johnson

P.S.

I just broke my ankle, am trying to adapt to crutches, and it is a drag.  I
was very impressed with the department here though, because they have
assigned student workers in shifts to follow me around and help carry
and/or move things whenever needed. It really helps.  Be careful on that
damm ice!