Pinblock plugs

Mark Dierauf 71204.2532@compuserve.com
Wed, 21 Feb 1996 16:50:11 -0500 (EST)

I have a situation with a very old (straight strung, 3/4 plate) Chickering that
was restrung with oversize pins a few years ago and the block is now failing
miserably. Although I have no interest in getting involved in this myself, I
suggested that the old block might be successfully repaired by plugging with
delignit plugs and redrilling for 2/0 pins, a procedure that I've heard about
but never seen, let alone done. Meanwhile, the tech who restrung this beast says
that he believes such a procedure would harm the structural integrety of the old
block (This guy had a plate break on him recently during a pitch-raise, so he's
understandably cautious).
  Does anybody have any direct experience with this type of procedure? It seems
to me that it would be a good way to avoid the expense of replacing a block of
this type. My own feeling is that he should never have spent dime one on this
"piano" in the first place, but now that he has, he should be looking to spend
as little as possible to fix it (and then get rid of it!).

                  Mark Dierauf
                  Concord, NH

visit the WinScale Homepage at:

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/mdierauf