:Scraping Hamilton jacks/butts

AKarab@aol.com AKarab@aol.com
Sat, 17 Feb 1996 03:21:28 -0500

The story as told to me by A Baldwin rep. in 84 and by the fellow in Chicago
who did several sets of these for Baldwin in the early 80's:

>From about 81 to 83 Baldwin's buckskin supplier unwittingly "preserved" the
buckskin they sold to Baldwin with a chemical which eventually turned it to
the texture of sandstone.

When I think of corfam, I think of that black crud which crumbles all over
and was used before this particular supply of buckskin was put into use.  The
black stuff doesn't harden up but has tons of friction problems.  The
hardened buckskin makes noises and has friction problems.

Currently Baldwin is still sending out the little buckskin squares and glue
in a packet with instructions free of charge if you submit the serial #, but
labor hasn't been covered since 93/ the end of the ten year warranty on any
given piano affected.  The labor, if  you don't do this all the time, is
something like 13 hours assuming you do both the catchers and the butt
buckskins.  The labor, if you do this all the time, may still be 10 hours.

>From the same period and a little later, some upright damper flanges with
little stubs molded in to hold the springs, some batches the stubs break off
and the springs work out of position, draining to even look at it.  Again
Baldwin supplies parts, labor offer depends on warranty period.

Best of Luck,

Audrey Karabinus,   Seattle